Tennis betting lines and prop bets provided by ClutchBet Sportsbook
Tommy Paul vs. Ben Shelton Match Information
- Tournament: The Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships
- Round: Quarterfinals
- Date: Friday, October 20
- Venue: Ariake Tennis Forest Park Ariake Colesseum
- Location: Tokyo, Japan
- Court Surface: Hard
|Tommy Paul (-140)||Ben Shelton (+115)|
Tommy Paul (No. 12 ranking) will take on Ben Shelton (No. 19) in the quarterfinals of the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships on Friday, October 20.
Paul vs. Shelton Matchup History
- Paul and Shelton have split their two head-to-head matches. The last one was on September 3, 2023, ending with Shelton winning 6-4, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4.
- Paul and Shelton have each taken four of eight sets against the other.
- Shelton has taken 42 games versus Paul (50.6%), while Paul has taken 41.
- Paul and Shelton have faced off two times, averaging 41.5 games and four sets per match.
- Paul is averaging 27.2 games per match (23.9 in best-of-three matches) through his 60 matches played this year (across all court surfaces), with a 53.4% game winning percentage.
- Paul has played 39 matches on hard courts this year, and averages 26.8 games per match (23.6 in best-of-three matches) and 9.8 games per set while winning 54.1% of games.
- Paul has an 80.1% service game winning percentage on all surfaces (640 service games won out of 799) and a 26% return game winning percentage (206 return games won out of 792).
- Paul has 425 wins in 524 service games on hard courts (a winning percentage of 81.1%), and 140 wins in 520 return games (26.9%).
- Paul’s 38.4% break point winning percentage (191-for-498) ranks 201st this year.
- On hard courts, Paul is 111th in break point winning percentage (39.1%) after going 131-for-335.
Paul Recent Performances
- Paul is coming off a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 37-ranked Mackenzie McDonald in the Round of 16 on Wednesday.
- In his previous tournament, the Rolex Shanghai Masters, Paul went down in the round of 16 to No. 7-ranked Andrey Rublev, 5-7, 5-7 on October 11.
- Paul played an average of 24 games in his three matches in Shanghai.
- Paul won 86.1% of his service games and 25% of his return games in Shanghai.
- In his 42 matches so far this year, Shelton has played an average of 29.5 games across all court types (25.3 in best-of-three matches).
- In his 28 matches on hard courts so far this year, Shelton has played an average of 29.5 games (24.8 in best-of-three matches).
- So far this year, Shelton has won 18% of his return games and 81.8% of his service games.
- Shelton has won 83.6% of his service games on hard courts, and 18.9% of his return games.
- Shelton has converted 41.5% of his break-point opportunities overall (97 of 234).
- Shelton has converted 41.9% of his break-point chances on hard courts (67 of 160).
Shelton Recent Performances
- In the Round of 16, Shelton won 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 against Jordan Thompson on Wednesday.
- In the quarterfinals round of the Rolex Shanghai Masters, Shelton’s previous tournament, he was eliminated by No. 26-ranked Sebastian Korda (7-6, 2-6, 6-7) on October 12.
- In Shelton’s four matches in Shanghai, there was an average of 28 games per match.
- Shelton clinched 83.9% of his service games (47 of 56) in China along with 17.9% of his return games (10 of 56).